Lapland, January 2020
Monday 13 - Saturday 18 January 2020
5 nights / 6 days
2'850 to 3'250 EUR
Join us next winter for a unique 5-day experience in the Finnish Lapland. As the nights are still quite long at this time of the year, we might have a chance to capture the amazing Northern Lights.
In March temperatures can drop to -20 Celsius, so you must bring warm and waterproof clothes.
- Tour dates: Mon 13/01/2020 - Sat 18/01/2020
- Availability: 6 places. NOTE: minimum 4 persons required to guarantee the departure
- Dificulty level: easy
- Guides: Réza Kalfane, Valentino Valkaj
- Price including 200 EUR Early Bird discount, based on shared accommodation. Single accommodation possible by request for extra fee:
- 4 people option / 3250 EUR per person
- 5 people option / 3050 EUR per person
- 6 people option / 2850 EUR per person
- Early Bird discount is valid if you reserve your place and pay a deposit until 30.9.2019
- Deposit: 900 EUR
- Group (3 and more) discount: 100 EUR / per person
What is included
- Pick up from Kuusamo airport (KAO) and drop off at Kittilä airport (KTT)
- All transportation during the tour in two comfortable vehicles
- Photo tour guidance by two landscape photographers
- Accommodation for 5 nights (based on double/ occupancy, which means you will share a room with another person from the group, single occupancy is possible by request)
- 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch-snacks, dinner)
- Flights or travel expenses arriving at Kuusamo airport and departing from Kittilä airport
- Any private insurances, insurance deductibles for snowmobiles, taxes, duty and visa fees where applicable
- Photography gear
- Single accommodation
- Spectacular winter scenery with mountain peaks that are dripping straight to the Atlantic Ocean
- Reykjavik, Snæfellsnes, Akureyri, Goðafoss, Mývatn
- Professional photo guidance by two landscape photographers
- Gorgeous winter light and Northern Lights during the night
- Very best hotels and food
- Travelling in style with two 4-wheel drive vehicles capable of going on any road with enough space for you and your photo gear
- The workshop is suitable for all photographers, amateurs or pros
Days 1 - 3
Our trip starts from Kuusamo, Finland. After the pickup from the airport, we will spend the first three days in the heart of the Northern Ostrobothnia region. We explore the area throughout the day, such as Riisitunturi and Oulanka national parks, and in the evening and night we try to capture the amazing Aurora Borealis with the beautiful surrounding nature. On the third day we will start our journey to the next destination, Levi and Pallas-Ylläs national park.
Days 4 - 5
For two days we will focus on the area around Pallas-Ylläs national park. We might take reindeer rides from our partner in Levi and explore the vast landscapes on the designated route. We will explore beautiful and mezerizing landscapes above the Arctic Circle and try one more time to capture amazing Northern Lights, if the weather will permit.
On the day five, we drive you to Kittilä Airport, which is not a long drive from our designated accommodation, so we will have time to shoot the last sunrise of the trip.
Keep in mind that the itinerary might change as we don’t use a fixed schedule because of the changing weather conditions. We focus on capturing sunrise, sunset and night photography.
What clothes should I bring?
Temperatures in Northern Finland can drop to -35 Celsius in peak winter, so here are some of the must have essentials:
- Layers, waterproof or Gore-Tex
- Thermal underclothes
- Warm and water resistant boots
- Warmest gloves you can find and, of course, a warm hat and scarf
- Camera with manual functions, extra batteries
- Wide and normal zoom lenses (>70 mm)
- Telephoto zoom lens (>200 mm >) recommended
- Cable release
- Neutral density & polariser filters recommended
- Extra storage for backing up your files highly recommended
Which air tickets should I buy?
Easiest way to get to our starting point, Kuusamo Airport (KAO) is to buy a flight with Finnair, which has flights from Helsinki on a daily basis. It is recommended to arrive not too late in the aternon. For a departure flight, choose Kittilä Airport (KTT). You have an option to buy from Norwegian or Finnair, which both fly to Helsinki on a daily basis. Choose the flight in the afternoon hours.
Will we see the Northern Lights?
The weather is always changing and nobody can guarantee clear skies. However, we will do our best to catch them!
Maximum number of participants is 6 and minimum to guarantee the departure is 4
A non-refundable (unless exceptional cancellation of the Tour) deposit of 900 EUR will be required to secure your booking, with the balance due 30 days prior to commencement of the Tour
No insurance is included in the price, so make sure to have all necessary travel and gear insurance. Tour guides cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage during the Tour If you have any questions feel free to contact us. Please reserve your spot by sending an inquiry to email and we'll get back to you with instructions how to make the payment.